Refugees are fleeing slavery and torture in Mauritania today–while the U.S. government is deporting people back to these very same abuses. This outline from the Ohio Immigrant Alliance reviews recent political events in Mauritania that show its ruling government’s utter disrespect for human and civil rights. RECENT EVENTS IN MAURITANIA: A TIMELINE UPDATED: July 5, […]
Last Updated: June 02, 2019
Thank you for visiting Ohio Immigrant Alliance!
I. INFORMATION WE COLLECT
There are three general categories of information we collect.
- Information You Give Us.
We collect information you share with us when you use the Ohio Immigrant Alliance Website.
- Account Information. When you sign up for an Ohio Immigrant Alliance Account, we may require certain information such as your name, email address, and date of birth.
- Profile Information. To use certain features within the Ohio Immigrant Alliance Website, we may also ask you to complete a profile, which may include your address, phone number, and gender. Certain parts of your profile (like your profile picture, first name, and description) are a part of your public profile page and will be publicly visible to others.
- Other Authentication-Related Information. To help create and maintain a trusted environment, we may collect identification (like a photo of your government-issued ID) or other authentication information. To learn more, see our Help Center article about providing identification on Ohio Immigrant Alliance.
- Payment Information. We collect your financial information (like your bank account or credit card information) when you use the Payment Services to make a donation or purchase something from the web store.
- Communications with Ohio Immigrant Alliance and other Users. When you communicate with Ohio Immigrant Alliance or use the Ohio Immigrant Alliance Website to communicate with other Users, we collect information about your communication and any information you choose to provide.
- Other Information. You may otherwise choose to provide us information when you fill in a form, conduct a search, update or add information to your Ohio Immigrant Alliance Account, respond to surveys, post to community forums, participate in promotions, or use other features of the Ohio Immigrant Alliance Website.
- Information We Automatically Collect from Your Use of the Ohio Immigrant Alliance Website.
When you use the Ohio Immigrant Alliance Website, we collect information about the services you use and how you use them.
- Usage Information. We collect information about your interactions with the Ohio Immigrant Alliance Website, such as the pages or other content you view, your searches for Listings, bookings you have made, and other actions on the Ohio Immigrant Alliance Website.
- Location Information. When you use certain features of the Ohio Immigrant Alliance Website, we may collect different types of information about your general location (e.g. IP address, zip code) or more specific location information (e.g. precise location from your mobile GPS). Most mobile devices allow you to control or disable the use of location services for applications in the device’s settings menu.
- Log Data. We automatically collect log information when you use the Ohio Immigrant Alliance Website, even if you have not created a Ohio Immigrant Alliance Account or logged in. That information includes, among other things: details about how you’ve used the Ohio Immigrant Alliance Website (including links to third party applications), IP address, access times, hardware and software information, device information, device event information (e.g., crashes, browser type), and the page you’ve viewed or engaged with before or after using the Ohio Immigrant Alliance Website.
- Transaction Information. We collect information related to your transactions on the Ohio Immigrant Alliance Website, including the date and time, amounts charged, and other related transaction details.
- Information We Collect from Third Parties.
We may collect information that others provide about you when they use the Ohio Immigrant Alliance Website or obtain information from other sources and combine that with information we collect through the Ohio Immigrant Alliance Website.
- Background Information. For Users in the United States, to the extent permitted by applicable laws, Ohio Immigrant Alliance may obtain reports from public records of criminal convictions or sex offender registrations. For Users outside of the United States, to the extent permitted by applicable laws, Ohio Immigrant Alliance may obtain the local version of background or registered sex offender checks. We may use your information, including your full name and date of birth, to obtain such reports.
- Other Sources. To the extent permitted by applicable law, we may receive additional information about you, such as demographic data or fraud detection information, from third party service providers and/or partners, and combine it with information we have about you. For example, we may receive background check results or fraud warnings from service providers like identity verification services for our fraud prevention and risk assessment efforts. We may receive information about you and your activities on and off the Ohio Immigrant Alliance Website through partnerships, or about your experiences and interactions from our partner ad networks.
II. HOW WE USE INFORMATION WE COLLECT
We use, store, and process information about you to provide, understand, improve, and develop the Ohio Immigrant Alliance Website, and to create and maintain a trusted and safer environment.
- Provide, Improve, and Develop the Ohio Immigrant Alliance Website.
- Enable you to access and use the Ohio Immigrant Alliance Website.
- Enable you to communicate with other Users.
- Operate, protect, improve and optimize the Ohio Immigrant Alliance Website and experience, such as by performing analytics and conducting research.
- Personalize or otherwise customize your experience by, among other things, ranking search results or showing ads based on your search, booking history, and preferences.
- Enable you to access and use the Payment Services.
- Provide customer service.
- Send you service or support messages, such as updates, security alerts, and account notifications.
- Create and Maintain a Trusted and Safer Environment.
- Detect and prevent fraud, spam, abuse, security incidents, and other harmful activity.
- Conduct investigations and risk assessments.
- Verify or authenticate information or identifications provided by you (such as to verify your Accommodation address or compare your identification photo to another photo you provide).
- Conduct checks against databases and other information sources.
- Comply with our legal obligations.
- Resolve any disputes with any of our users and enforce our agreements with third parties.
- Provide, Personalize, Measure, and Improve our Advertising and Marketing.
- Send you promotional messages, marketing, advertising, and other information that may be of interest to you based on your communication preferences (including information about Ohio Immigrant Alliance or partner campaigns and services).
- Personalize, measure, and improve advertising.
- Administer referral programs, rewards, surveys, sweepstakes, contests, or other promotional activities or events sponsored or managed by Ohio Immigrant Alliance or its third-party business partners.
III. SHARING & DISCLOSURE
- With Your Consent.
We may share your information at your direction or as described at the time of sharing, such as when you authorize a third-party application or website to access your Ohio Immigrant Alliance Account.
- Sharing between Users.
We don’t share your billing and payout information with other Users. If you have applied for volunteer opportunities or you are looking for volunteers, we may share your information to facilitate you finding an organization to volunteer with or a volunteer for your organization.
- Profiles, Listings, and other Public Information.
The Ohio Immigrant Alliance Website lets you publish information that is visible to the general public. For example:
- Parts of your public profile page, such as your first name, your description, and city, are publicly visible to others.
- Public profile pages are publicly visible.
- If you submit content in a public forum or social media post or use a similar feature on the Ohio Immigrant Alliance Website, that content is publicly visible.
Information you share publicly on the Ohio Immigrant Alliance Website may be indexed through third party search engines. In some cases, you may opt-out of this feature in your Account settings. If you change your settings or your public-facing content, these search engines may not update their databases. We do not control the practices of third-party search engines, and they may use caches containing your outdated information.
- Service Providers.
- Ohio Immigrant Alliance Payments.
Ohio Immigrant Alliance Payments may share your personal information to: (i) provide the Payment Services, (ii) facilitate your use of the Ohio Immigrant Alliance Website, and (iii) jointly market products or services to you with other financial third parties with whom Ohio Immigrant Alliance Payments has a formal agreement. You can unsubscribe or opt-out from receiving such marketing communications in your Account settings.
- Safety and Compliance with Law.
We will attempt to notify Users about these requests unless: (i) providing notice is prohibited by the legal process itself, by court order we receive, or by applicable law, or (ii) we believe that providing notice would be futile, ineffective, create a risk of injury or bodily harm to an individual or group, or create or increase a risk of fraud upon Ohio Immigrant Alliance’s property, its Users and the Website (collectively, “Risk Scenarios”). In instances where we comply with legal requests without notice for these reasons, we will attempt to notify that User about the request after the fact if we determine in good faith that we are no longer legally prohibited from doing so and that no Risk Scenarios apply.
- Disclosure to Your Organization.
If you have signed up on behalf of or linked your Ohio Immigrant Alliance Account with an Organization, we may disclose information related to the account to your Organization. Typically, this includes your name, uploaded content, and other related information. At the request of your Organization, we may also disclose this information to service providers engaged by it. In the event of a dispute, emergency, or similar situation involving a booking identified as being for business purposes, Ohio Immigrant Alliance may also share relevant information it believes is necessary to safely and quickly address the situation.
- Business Transfers.
- Aggregated Data.
We may also share aggregated information (information about our users that we combine together so that it no longer identifies or references an individual user) and non-personally identifiable information for industry and market analysis, demographic profiling, marketing and advertising, and other business purposes.
IV. OTHER IMPORTANT INFORMATION
- Analyzing your Communications.
We may review, scan, or analyze your communications on the Ohio Immigrant Alliance Website for fraud prevention, risk assessment, regulatory compliance, investigation, product development, research, and customer support purposes. For example, as part of our fraud prevention efforts, we scan and analyze messages to mask contact information and references to other websites. In some cases, we may also scan, review, or analyze messages to debug, improve, and expand product offerings. We use automated methods where reasonably possible.
However, occasionally we may need to manually review some communications, such as for fraud investigations and customer support, or to assess and improve the functionality of these automated tools. We will not review, scan, or analyze your communications to send third party marketing messages to you, and we will not sell reviews or analyses of these communications.
- Linking Third Party Accounts.
At this point you may not link your social media accounts to your Ohio Immigrant Alliance Account.
V. THIRD PARTY PARTNERS & INTEGRATIONS
The Ohio Immigrant Alliance Website may contain links to third party websites or services, such as third-party integrations, co-branded services, or third party-branded services (“Third Party Partners”). Ohio Immigrant Alliance doesn’t own or control these Third-Party Partners, and when you interact with them, you may be providing information directly to the Third-Party Partner, Ohio Immigrant Alliance, or both. These Third-Party Partners will have their own rules about the collection, use, and disclosure of information. We encourage you to review the privacy policies of the other websites you visit.
VI. YOUR CHOICES
- Access and Update.
You may review, update, or delete the information in your Ohio Immigrant Alliance Account by logging into your Ohio Immigrant Alliance Account and reviewing your Account settings and profile.
- Account Cancellation.
For information on how to cancel your Ohio Immigrant Alliance Account, please consult our Frequently Asked Questions/FAQ. Note that information that you have shared with others (like Reviews or forum postings) may continue to be publicly visible on the Ohio Immigrant Alliance Website in association with your first name, even after your Ohio Immigrant Alliance Account is cancelled.
VII. OPERATING GLOBALLY
Ohio Immigrant Alliance Payments will not share information it collects about you with their affiliates or third parties (both financial and non-financial), except as required or permitted by your state’s law.
We are continuously implementing and updating administrative, technical, and physical security measures to help protect your information against unauthorized access, loss, destruction, or alteration. However, the Internet is not a 100% secure environment so we can’t guarantee the security of the transmission or storage of your information.
Welcome to Ohio Immigrant Alliance
Last Updated: 06/02/2019
- Using Our Services (General Overview)
You may use our Services only if you can form a binding contract with Ohio Immigrant Alliance. No use of the Services is permitted by those under the age of majority in their state of residence. In no event is use of the Services permitted by those under the age of 18. If you are using the Services on behalf of any entity, then you are agreeing to the Terms on behalf of that entity.
Our content is reserved for individuals and groups pursuing grassroots and non-profit purposes for positive social change in their community. We reserve the right to terminate access to our website and content for any individual or group who are found to pursue or actively advocate for causes or other individuals deemed hateful, including but not limited to:
or in short in any other way promoting a cause which is deemed going contrary to anti-discrimination principles and/or therefore violating somebody else’s civil rights (including, but not limited acts and/or statements of hate based on the race, national origin, religion, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, age or sexual orientation of another person). Such individuals/groups will be barred permanently from the site.
Individuals and groups with the sole purpose of supporting candidates for political office are also not accepted. Exceptions may be made in cases where the individual/group is working towards a cause benefiting society overall, like immigration reform for example. If you believe you or your group have been rejected in error, contact us at [contact_us AT ohioimmigrant.org].
We also reserve the right to reject and bar any user at any time who violates our terms and conditions, threatens other Users or infringes on the (copy)rights of others. Decisions are final.
See also: Termination.
The access to or use of certain areas and features of the Ohio Immigrant Alliance Website may be subject to separate policies, standards or guidelines, or may require that you accept additional terms and conditions. If there is a conflict between these Terms and terms and conditions applicable to a specific area or feature of the Ohio Immigrant Alliance Website, the latter terms and conditions will take precedence with respect to your access to or use of that area or feature, unless specified otherwise.
You must register an account (“Ohio Immigrant Alliance Account”) to access and use certain features of the Ohio Immigrant Alliance Website as prompted by the Site, such as publishing or reading content. Ohio Immigrant Alliance determines what content is reserved for registered Users only at our discretion.
- User Identity
User verification on the Internet is difficult and we do not assume any responsibility for the confirmation of any User’s identity. Notwithstanding the above, for transparency and fraud prevention purposes, and as permitted by applicable laws, we may, but have no obligation to
- ask Users to provide a form of government identification or other information or undertake additional checks designed to help verify the identities or backgrounds of Users,
- screen Users against third party databases or other sources and request reports from service providers, and
- where we have sufficient information to identify a User, obtain reports from public records of criminal convictions or sex offender registrations or an equivalent version of background or registered sex offender checks in your local jurisdiction (if available).
III. User Registration
As stated under “I. Using Our Services (General Overview)”, you must register an account (“Ohio Immigrant Alliance Account”) to access and use certain features of the Ohio Immigrant Alliance Website as prompted by the Site, such as publishing or reading content. Ohio Immigrant Alliance determines what content is reserved for registered Users only at our discretion. If you are registering an Ohio Immigrant Alliance Account for a company or other legal entity, you represent and warrant that you have the authority to legally bind that entity and grant us all permissions and licenses provided in these Terms.
You can register an Ohio Immigrant Alliance Account using an email address and creating a password. At this point we do not allow registering through your account with certain third-party social networking services, such as Facebook or Google (“SNS Account”).
You must provide accurate, current and complete information during the registration process and keep your Ohio Immigrant Alliance Account and Ohio Immigrant Alliance Account profile page information up-to-date at all times. If you are found to have utilized false information, such as hoax names or non-existing email addresses, in order to gain access to our content, you will be immediately terminated as a user and barred from the site.
You may not register more than one (1) Ohio Immigrant Alliance Account unless Ohio Immigrant Alliance authorizes you to do so. You may not assign or otherwise transfer your Ohio Immigrant Alliance Account to another party.
You are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality and security of your Ohio Immigrant Alliance Account credentials and may not disclose your credentials to any third party. You must immediately notify Ohio Immigrant Alliance if you know or have any reason to suspect that your credentials have been lost, stolen, misappropriated, or otherwise compromised or in case of any actual or suspected unauthorized use of your Ohio Immigrant Alliance Account. You are liable for any and all activities conducted through your Ohio Immigrant Alliance Account, unless such activities are not authorized by you and you are not otherwise negligent (such as failing to report the unauthorized use or loss of your credentials).
- Intellectual Property
Using our Services does not give you ownership of any intellectual property rights in our Services or the content you access. Except in the context of browsing or accessing our Services in accordance with these Terms, you may not use content from our Services unless you obtain permission from its owner or are otherwise permitted by law. These Terms do not grant you the right to use any branding or logos used in our Services. Do not remove, obscure, or alter any legal notices displayed in or along with our Services.
- Mobile Application License
Some of our Services may be available on mobile devices and these Terms apply to your use of our Services on such devices. If you are accessing the Services via a mobile application (the “Application”), we grant you a revocable, non-exclusive, non-transferable, limited right to install and use the Application on mobile devices owned and controlled by you, and to access and use the Services on those devices. You agree to only use the Application for the purpose for which it was designed and intended, and, unless such restrictions are prohibited by law, not to reverse engineer or decompile the Application, attempt to do so, or assist anyone in doing so. Do not use our Services on any mobile device in a way that distracts you and prevents you from obeying traffic or safety laws.
- Website Content
Our Services may display both Ohio Immigrant Alliance-created content and content that is not created or developed by Ohio Immigrant Alliance. We may review third party-content to determine whether it is illegal or violates our policies, and we may remove or refuse to display content that we reasonably believe violates our policies or the law. But we do not routinely screen third-party content that is published via our Services. We cannot guarantee the accuracy, adequacy or quality of any such content, or the qualifications of those posting it.
See also: Third-Party Sites/Services/Content.
Any content created by other entities such as videos or PDFs are posted with the original creator’s branding and are collected at the Ohio Immigrant Alliance solely for training and educational purposes in order to present to our Users a more complete overview over stakeholders and providers in the respective field/technical area. If your content has been posted within this framework and you would like to have us remove it, please email us at [contact_us AT ohioimmigrant.org].
Ohio Immigrant Alliance is not paid by the respective providers to display this content, will attribute the content in full where applicable, and is not responsible for its creation. Ohio Immigrant Alliance is also not paid by Users of the website who access the content directly. The only time Ohio Immigrant Alliance receives any payments from Users in relation to content or services on the website happens so the website can keep operating at all.
See also: Payments and Donations.
The Ohio Immigrant Alliance Website, Ohio Immigrant Alliance Content, and User Content may in its entirety or in part be protected by copyright, trademark, and/or other laws of the United States and other countries. You acknowledge and agree that the Ohio Immigrant Alliance Website and Ohio Immigrant Alliance Content, including all associated intellectual property rights, are the exclusive property of Ohio Immigrant Alliance and/or its licensors or authorizing third-parties. You will not remove, alter or obscure any copyright, trademark, service mark or other proprietary rights notices incorporated in or accompanying the Ohio Immigrant Alliance Website, Ohio Immigrant Alliance Content or User Content. All trademarks, service marks, logos, trade names, and any other source identifiers of Ohio Immigrant Alliance used on or in connection with the Ohio Immigrant Alliance Website and Ohio Immigrant Alliance Content are trademarks or registered trademarks of Ohio Immigrant Alliance in the United States and abroad. Trademarks, service marks, logos, trade names and any other proprietary designations of third parties used on or in connection with the Ohio Immigrant Alliance Website, Ohio Immigrant Alliance Content, and/or Collective Content are used for identification purposes only and may be the property of their respective owners.
You will not use, copy, adapt, modify, prepare derivative works of, distribute, license, sell, transfer, publicly display, publicly perform, transmit, broadcast or otherwise exploit the Ohio Immigrant Alliance Website or Collective Content, except to the extent you are the legal owner of certain User Content or as expressly permitted in these Terms.
VII. Payments and Donations
Ohio Immigrant Alliance is not paid by the respective third-party providers to display content related to their products and/or services on our website; it is provided solely for training and educational purposes. Ohio Immigrant Alliance is also not paid by Users of the website who access the content directly, even though they may be required to register in order to access it.
The only time the Ohio Immigrant Alliance receives any payments from Users in relation to content or services on the website happens so the website can keep operating at all. Ohio Immigrant Alliance may collect payments and donations for merchandise sold on the side through a web store unrelated to the educational content provided. Donations made are also not to be seen as payment in return for products/services/content, but as a contribution to the overall work of Ohio Immigrant Alliance.
Ohio Immigrant Alliance utilizes third-party providers to process payments for example for donations. Any disputes regarding issues with payments or donations need to be resolved with the respective payment provider.
VIII. User Contributions/Content
Ohio Immigrant Alliance may, at its sole discretion, enable Users to
- create, upload, post, send, receive and store content, such as text, photos, audio, video, or other materials and information on or through the Ohio Immigrant Alliance Website (“User Content”); and
- access and view User Content and any content that Ohio Immigrant Alliance itself makes available on or through the Ohio Immigrant Alliance Website, including proprietary Ohio Immigrant Alliance content and any content licensed or authorized for use by or through Ohio Immigrant Alliance from a third party (“Ohio Immigrant Alliance Content” and together with User Content, “Collective Content”).
Ohio Immigrant Alliance may include interactive areas in which you may post original content and information (the “User Content”). You retain all rights in, and are solely responsible for, the User Content you post. You are also solely responsible for your use of such interactive features and use them at your own risk. We reserve the right to remove or modify User Content for any reason, including User Content that we believe violates these Terms or our policies.
When you post User Content to Ohio Immigrant Alliance , you give Ohio Immigrant Alliance and its affiliates a nonexclusive, royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable and fully sub-licensable right to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display such User Content throughout the world in any media. To the extent such content is attached to a profile on the Ohio Immigrant Alliance website, the foregoing license includes a right to reproduce your profile, and any name, likeness or photograph contained in such profile. If you submit feedback or suggestions about our Services, we may use your feedback or suggestions without obligation to you.
The Ohio Immigrant Alliance Website, Ohio Immigrant Alliance Content, and User Content may in its entirety or in part be protected by copyright, trademark, and/or other laws of the United States and other countries.
You acknowledge and agree that the Ohio Immigrant Alliance Website and Ohio Immigrant Alliance Content, including all associated intellectual property rights, are the exclusive property of Ohio Immigrant Alliance and/or its licensors or authorizing third-parties. You will not remove, alter or obscure any copyright, trademark, service mark or other proprietary rights notices incorporated in or accompanying the Ohio Immigrant Alliance Website, Ohio Immigrant Alliance Content or User Content. All trademarks, service marks, logos, trade names, and any other source identifiers of Ohio Immigrant Alliance used on or in connection with the Ohio Immigrant Alliance Website and Ohio Immigrant Alliance Content are trademarks or registered trademarks of Ohio Immigrant Alliance in the United States and abroad. Trademarks, service marks, logos, trade names and any other proprietary designations of third parties used on or in connection with the Ohio Immigrant Alliance Website, Ohio Immigrant Alliance Content, and/or Collective Content are used for identification purposes only and may be the property of their respective owners.
You will not use, copy, adapt, modify, prepare derivative works of, distribute, license, sell, transfer, publicly display, publicly perform, transmit, broadcast or otherwise exploit the Ohio Immigrant Alliance Website or Collective Content, except to the extent you are the legal owner of certain User Content or as expressly permitted in these Terms. No licenses or rights are granted to you by implication or otherwise under any intellectual property rights owned or controlled by Ohio Immigrant Alliance or its licensors, except for the licenses and rights expressly granted in these Terms.
By creating, uploading, posting, sending, receiving, storing, or otherwise making available any User Content on or through the Ohio Immigrant Alliance Website, you grant to Ohio Immigrant Alliance a non-exclusive, worldwide, royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual (or for the term of the protection), sub-licensable and transferable license to such User Content to access, use, store, copy, modify, prepare derivative works of, distribute, publish, transmit, stream, broadcast, and otherwise exploit in any manner such User Content to provide and/or promote the Ohio Immigrant Alliance Website, in any media or website. Unless you provide specific consent, Ohio Immigrant Alliance does not claim any ownership rights in any User Content and nothing in these Terms will be deemed to restrict any rights that you may have to use or exploit your User Content.
You are solely responsible for all User Content that you make available on or through the Ohio Immigrant Alliance Website. Accordingly, you represent and warrant that:
- you either are the sole and exclusive owner of all User Content that you make available on or through the Ohio Immigrant Alliance Website or you have all rights, licenses, consents and releases that are necessary to grant to Ohio Immigrant Alliance the rights in and to such User Content, as contemplated under these Terms; and
- neither the User Content nor your posting, uploading, publication, submission or transmittal of the User Content or Ohio Immigrant Alliance’s use of the User Content (or any portion thereof) will infringe, misappropriate or violate a third party’s patent, copyright, trademark, trade secret, moral rights or other proprietary or intellectual property rights, or rights of publicity or privacy, or result in the violation of any applicable law or regulation.
You will not post, upload, publish, submit or transmit any User Content that:
- is fraudulent, false, misleading (directly or by omission or failure to update information) or deceptive;
- is defamatory, libelous, obscene, pornographic, vulgar or offensive;
- promotes discrimination, bigotry, racism, hatred, harassment or harm against any individual or group;
- is violent or threatening or promotes violence or actions that are threatening to any other person;
- promotes illegal or harmful activities or substances; or
- violates Ohio Immigrant Alliance’s Content Policy or any other Ohio Immigrant Alliance policy.
Ohio Immigrant Alliance may, without prior notice, remove or disable access to any User Content that Ohio Immigrant Alliance finds to be in violation of these Terms or Ohio Immigrant Alliance’s then-current Policies or Standards, or otherwise may be harmful or objectionable to Ohio Immigrant Alliance, its Users, third parties, or property.
Ohio Immigrant Alliance respects copyright law and expects its Users to do the same. If you believe that any content on the Ohio Immigrant Alliance Website infringes copyrights you own, please notify us in accordance with our Copyright Policy.
See also: IX. Copyright.
We respond to notices of alleged copyright infringement and terminate accounts of repeat infringers according to the process set out in the U.S. Digital Millennium Copyright Act.
If you believe that any material on the Site infringes upon any copyright which you own or control, you may file a DMCA Notice of Alleged Infringement with Ohio Immigrant Alliance ‘s Designated Copyright Agent:
Ohio Immigrant Alliance Copyright Agent
email: contact_us AT ohioimmigrant.org
- Translations/Multi-Lingual Offering and Content
To extend the Ohio Immigrant Alliance Website and to increase the reach of our content, some content may be displayed on other websites, in applications, within emails, and in online and offline advertisements at our discretion in accordance with copyright law. To assist Users who speak different languages, content may be translated, in whole or in part, into other languages. Ohio Immigrant Alliance cannot guarantee the accuracy or quality of such translations and Users are responsible for reviewing and verifying the accuracy of such translations. The Ohio Immigrant Alliance Website may contain translations powered by Google or a third-party plug-in such as Polylang. Polylang and Google disclaim all warranties related to the translations, express or implied, including any warranties of accuracy, reliability, and any implied warranties for merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose and non-infringement.
- Third-Party Sites/Services/Content
The Ohio Immigrant Alliance Website may contain links to third-party websites or resources (“Third-Party Services”). Such Third-Party Services may be subject to different terms and conditions and privacy practices. Ohio Immigrant Alliance is not responsible or liable for the availability or accuracy of such Third-Party Services, or the content, products, or services available from such Third-Party Services. Links to such Third-Party Services are not an endorsement by Ohio Immigrant Alliance of such Third-Party Services.
Due to the nature of the Internet, Ohio Immigrant Alliance cannot guarantee the continuous and uninterrupted availability and accessibility of the Ohio Immigrant Alliance Website. Ohio Immigrant Alliance may restrict the availability of the Ohio Immigrant Alliance Website or certain areas or features thereof, if this is necessary in view of capacity limits, the security or integrity of our servers, or to carry out maintenance measures that ensure the proper or improved functioning of the Ohio Immigrant Alliance Website. Ohio Immigrant Alliance may improve, enhance and modify the Ohio Immigrant Alliance Website and introduce new Ohio Immigrant Alliance Services from time to time.
While Ohio Immigrant Alliance strives to provide quality Services and Content, there are some things that we cannot guarantee. If you choose to use the Ohio Immigrant Alliance Website or Collective Content, you do so voluntarily and at your sole risk. The Ohio Immigrant Alliance Website and Collective Content is provided “as is”, without warranty of any kind, either express or implied.
Editorial and other content is offered as guidance only, and is not meant, nor should it be construed as, a replacement for certified, professional expertise
You acknowledge that our Services and Software might include third party data and contributions, that there are certain inherent limitations to the accuracy or currency of such information and data, that our Services and Content may be incomplete, may contain inaccuracies, or may be based on opinion. Ohio Immigrant Alliance DOES NOT SCREEN SUCH INFORMATION FOR ACCURACY OR RELIABILITY. TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, Ohio Immigrant Alliance AND ITS AFFILIATES, SUPPLIERS AND DISTRIBUTORS MAKE NO WARRANTIES, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, ABOUT THE SERVICES AND CONTENT. THE SERVICES AND SOFTWARE ARE PROVIDED “AS IS.” Ohio Immigrant Alliance ALSO DISCLAIMS ANY WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, TITLE AND NON-INFRINGEMENT.
XIV. Volunteer Management and Facilitation
Ohio Immigrant Alliance is not only a resource library and knowledge hub, it is also a website where people seeking to volunteer can connect with groups and organizations who need them. When Users sign up as volunteers and other individuals/groups/organizations accept their skills and services as volunteers, they are entering into a contract directly with each other.
Ohio Immigrant Alliance is not and does not become a party to or other participant in any contractual relationship between Users, nor is Ohio Immigrant Alliance a recruiter or volunteer manager. Ohio Immigrant Alliance is not acting as an agent in any capacity for any User.
While we may help facilitate the resolution of disputes, Ohio Immigrant Alliance has no control over and does not guarantee
- the existence, quality, safety, suitability, or legality of any volunteer skills or resume as presented by the volunteer to another individual/group/organization,
- the truth or accuracy of any descriptions or documentation submitted by the prospective volunteer to another individual/group/organization, or
- the performance or conduct of any User or third party.
Ohio Immigrant Alliance does not endorse any User, product or service. We also do not have the capacity to conduct background checks of any sort. Any vetting which needs to be done should be performed by the individual/group/organization accepting the prospective volunteer’s services. The mere relating of address and other information along with such description is not an endorsement, certification or guarantee by Ohio Immigrant Alliance about any User seeking to volunteer, including of the User’s identity or background or whether the User is trustworthy, safe or suitable. You should always exercise due diligence and care when deciding whether to enter into a volunteer relationship with any other User.
See also: II. User Identity.
- Prohibited Activities
You are solely responsible for compliance with any and all laws, rules, regulations, and Tax obligations that may apply to your use of the Ohio Immigrant Alliance Website. In connection with your use of the Ohio Immigrant Alliance Website, you will not and will not assist or enable others to:
- breach or circumvent any applicable laws or regulations, agreements with third-parties, third-party rights, or our Terms, Policies or Standards;
- use the Ohio Immigrant Alliance Website or Collective Content for any commercial or other purposes that are not expressly permitted by these Terms or in a manner that falsely implies Ohio Immigrant Alliance endorsement, partnership or otherwise misleads others as to your affiliation with Ohio Immigrant Alliance;
- use the Ohio Immigrant Alliance Website in connection with the distribution of unsolicited commercial messages (“spam”);
- offer, as a User, any content or parts of content to which you do not own the copyright;
- contact another User for any purpose other than asking a question related to a your own booking, Listing, or the User’s use of the Ohio Immigrant Alliance Website, including, but not limited to, recruiting or otherwise soliciting any User to join third-party services, applications or websites, without our prior written approval;
- request, accept or make any payment for Ohio Immigrant Alliance content. If you do so, you acknowledge and agree that you: (i) would be in breach of these Terms; (ii) accept all risks and responsibility for such payment, and (iii) hold Ohio Immigrant Alliance harmless from any liability for such payment;
- discriminate against or harass anyone on the basis of race, national origin, religion, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, age or sexual orientation, or otherwise engage in any abusive or disruptive behavior;
- use, display, mirror or frame the Ohio Immigrant Alliance Website or Collective Content, or any individual element within the Ohio Immigrant Alliance Website, Ohio Immigrant Alliance’s name, any Ohio Immigrant Alliance trademark, logo or other proprietary information, or the layout and design of any page or form contained on a page in the Ohio Immigrant Alliance Website, without Ohio Immigrant Alliance’s express written consent;
- dilute, tarnish or otherwise harm the Ohio Immigrant Alliance brand in any way, including through unauthorized use of Collective Content, registering and/or using Ohio Immigrant Alliance or derivative terms in domain names, trade names, trademarks or other source identifiers, or registering and/or using domains names, trade names, trademarks or other source identifiers that closely imitate or are confusingly similar to Ohio Immigrant Alliance domains, trademarks, taglines, promotional campaigns or Collective Content;
- use any robots, spider, crawler, scraper or other automated means or processes to access, collect data or other content from or otherwise interact with the Ohio Immigrant Alliance Website for any purpose;
- avoid, bypass, remove, deactivate, impair, descramble, or otherwise attempt to circumvent any technological measure implemented by Ohio Immigrant Alliance or any of Ohio Immigrant Alliance’s providers or any other third party to protect the Ohio Immigrant Alliance Website;
- attempt to decipher, decompile, disassemble or reverse engineer any of the software used to provide the Ohio Immigrant Alliance Website;
- take any action that damages or adversely affects, or could damage or adversely affect the performance or proper functioning of the Ohio Immigrant Alliance Website;
- export, re-export, import, or transfer the Application except as authorized by United States law, the export control laws of your jurisdiction, and any other applicable laws; or
- violate or infringe anyone else’s rights or otherwise cause harm to anyone.
You acknowledge that Ohio Immigrant Alliance has no obligation to monitor the access to or use of the Ohio Immigrant Alliance Website by any User or to review, disable access to, or edit any User Content, but has the right to do so to in order to
- operate, secure and improve the Ohio Immigrant Alliance Website (including without limitation for fraud prevention, risk assessment, investigation and customer support purposes);
- ensure Users’ compliance with these Terms;
- comply with applicable law or the order or requirement of a court, law enforcement or other administrative agency or governmental body;
- respond to User Content that it determines is harmful or objectionable; or
- as otherwise set forth in these Terms. Users agree to cooperate with and assist Ohio Immigrant Alliance in good faith, and to provide Ohio Immigrant Alliance with such information and take such actions as may be reasonably requested by Ohio Immigrant Alliance with respect to any investigation undertaken by Ohio Immigrant Alliance or a representative of Ohio Immigrant Alliance regarding the use or abuse of the Ohio Immigrant Alliance Website.
If you feel that any User you interact with, whether online or in person, is acting or has acted inappropriately, including but not limited to anyone who
- engages in offensive, violent or sexually inappropriate behavior,
- you suspect of stealing from you, or
- engages in any other disturbing conduct,
you should immediately report such person to the appropriate authorities and then to Ohio Immigrant Alliance by contacting us with your police station and report number (if available); provided that your report will not obligate us to take any action beyond that required by law (if any) or cause us to incur any liability to you.
XVI. Limitation of Liability
Participation in any Experience or Event or use of any other Service connecting you with volunteers or volunteer opportunities or any other interaction you have with other Users whether in person or online remains with you. Neither Ohio Immigrant Alliance nor any other party involved in creating, producing, or delivering the Ohio Immigrant Alliance Website or Collective Content will be liable for any incidental, special, exemplary or consequential damages, including lost profits, loss of data or loss of goodwill, service interruption, computer damage or system failure or the cost of substitute products or services, or for any damages for personal or bodily injury or emotional distress arising out of or in connection with
- these Terms,
- from the use of or inability to use the Ohio Immigrant Alliance Website or Collective Content,
- third-party WordPress plugins and/or themes,
- from any communications, interactions or meetings with other Users or other persons with whom you communicate, interact or meet with as a result of your use of the Ohio Immigrant Alliance Website, or
- from your utilization of the Ohio Immigrant Alliance Website or Ohio Immigrant Alliance Content, whether based on warranty, contract, tort (including negligence), product liability or any other legal theory, and whether or not Ohio Immigrant Alliance has been informed of the possibility of such damage, even if a limited remedy set forth herein is found to have failed of its essential purpose.
TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, IN NO EVENT SHALL Ohio Immigrant Alliance OR ANY OF ITS AFFILIATES, SUPPLIERS AND DISTRIBUTORS, OR ANY OF THEIR RESPECTIVE DIRECTORS, EMPLOYEES AND AGENTS, BE LIABLE FOR ANY SPECIAL, INDIRECT OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, OR ANY LOSS OF PROFITS OR REVENUES, WHETHER INCURRED DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY, OR ANY LOSS OF DATA, USE, GOODWILL, OR OTHER INTANGIBLE LOSSES, RESULTING FROM YOUR ACCESS TO OR USE OF OR INABILITY TO ACCESS OR USE THE SERVICES AND SOFTWARE. TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE TOTAL LIABILITY OF Ohio Immigrant Alliance, AND ITS AFFILIATES, SUPPLIERS AND DISTRIBUTORS, FOR ANY CLAIM ARISING OUT OF OR RELATING IN ANY MANNER TO THE USE OF THE SERVICES, IS LIMITED TO THE AMOUNT YOU PAID US, IF ANY, TO USE THE SERVICES TO WHICH SUCH CLAIM RELATES IN THE 12 MONTH PERIOD PRECEDING THE FILING OF SUCH CLAIM. IN THE INTEREST OF CLARITY, THIS LIMITATION ALSO APPLIES TO PREMIUM SERVICES.
You agree to defend, indemnify and hold harmless Ohio Immigrant Alliance, its corporate affiliates, independent contractors, service providers and consultants, and each of their respective directors, employees and agents, from and against any claims, damages, costs, liabilities and expenses (including, but not limited to, reasonable attorneys’ fees) arising out of or related to any User Content you post, store or otherwise transmit on or through the Services or your use of or inability to use the Services, including without limitation any actual or threatened suit, demand or claim arising out of or relating to the User Content, your conduct, your violation of these Terms or your violation of the rights of any third party.
Ohio Immigrant Alliance reserves the right to modify these Terms at any time in accordance with this provision. If we make changes to these Terms, we will post the revised Terms on the Ohio Immigrant Alliance Website and update the “Last Updated” date at the top of these Terms. We will also provide you with notice of the modifications by email at least thirty (30) days before the date they become effective. If you disagree with the revised Terms, you may terminate this Agreement with immediate effect. We will inform you about your right to terminate the Agreement in the notification email. If you do not terminate your Agreement before the date the revised Terms become effective, your continued access to or use of the Ohio Immigrant Alliance Website will constitute acceptance of the revised Terms.
This Dispute Resolution and Arbitration Agreement shall apply if you
- reside in the United States; or
- do not reside in the United States, but bring any claim against Ohio Immigrant Alliance in the United States (to the extent not in conflict with “Applicable Law and Venue”).
- Overview of Dispute Resolution Process.
Ohio Immigrant Alliance is committed to participating in a consumer-friendly dispute resolution process. To that end, these Terms provide for a two-part process for individuals to whom this section applies: (1) an informal negotiation directly with Ohio Immigrant Alliance’s customer service team, and (2) a binding arbitration administered by the American Arbitration Association (“AAA”) using its specially designed Consumer Arbitration Rules (as modified by this section). Specifically, the process provides:
- Claims can be filed with AAA online (www.adr.org);
- Arbitrators must be neutral and no party may unilaterally select an arbitrator;
- Arbitrators must disclose any bias, interest in the result of the arbitration, or relationship with any party;
- Parties retain the right to seek relief in small claims court for certain claims, at their option;
- The initial filing fee for the consumer is capped at $200;
- The consumer gets to elect the hearing location and can elect to participate live, by phone, video conference, or, for claims under $25,000, by the submission of documents;
- The arbitrator can grant any remedy that the parties could have received in court to resolve the party’s individual claim.
- Pre-Arbitration Dispute Resolution and Notification.
Prior to initiating an arbitration, you and Ohio Immigrant Alliance each agree to notify the other party of the dispute and attempt to negotiate an informal resolution to it first. We will contact you at the email address you have provided to us; you can contact Ohio Immigrant Alliance’s customer service team by emailing us. If after a good faith effort to negotiate one of us feels the dispute has not and cannot be resolved informally, the party intending to pursue arbitration agrees to notify the other party via email prior to initiating the arbitration. In order to initiate arbitration, a claim must be filed with the AAA and the written Demand for Arbitration (available at www.adr.org) provided to the other party, as specified in the AAA Rules.
- Agreement to Arbitrate.
You and Ohio Immigrant Alliance mutually agree that any dispute, claim or controversy arising out of or relating to these Terms or the breach, termination, enforcement or interpretation thereof, or to the use of the Ohio Immigrant Alliance Website, the Volunteer Services, or the Collective Content (collectively, “Disputes”) will be settled by binding arbitration (the “Arbitration Agreement”). If there is a dispute about whether this Arbitration Agreement can be enforced or applies to our Dispute, you and Ohio Immigrant Alliance agree that the arbitrator will decide that issue.
- Exceptions to Arbitration Agreement.
You and Ohio Immigrant Alliance each agree that the following claims are exceptions to the Arbitration Agreement and will be brought in a judicial proceeding in a court of competent jurisdiction: (i) Any claim related to actual or threatened infringement, misappropriation or violation of a party’s copyrights, trademarks, trade secrets, patents, or other intellectual property rights; (ii) Any claim seeking emergency injunctive relief based on exigent circumstances (e.g., imminent danger or commission of a crime, hacking, cyber-attack).
- Arbitration Rules and Governing Law.
This Arbitration Agreement evidences a transaction in interstate commerce and thus the Federal Arbitration Act governs the interpretation and enforcement of this provision. The arbitration will be administered by AAA in accordance with the Consumer Arbitration Rules (the “AAA Rules“) then in effect, except as modified here. The AAA Rules are available at www.adr.org or by calling the AAA at 1–800–778–7879.
- Modification to AAA Rules – Arbitration Hearing/Location.
In order to make the arbitration most convenient to you, Ohio Immigrant Alliance agrees that any required arbitration hearing may be conducted, at your option, (a) in the county where you reside; (b) in Wayne County; (c) in any other location to which you and Ohio Immigrant Alliance both agree; (d) via phone or video conference; or (e) for any claim or counterclaim under $25,000, by solely the submission of documents to the arbitrator.
- Modification of AAA Rules – Attorney’s Fees and Costs.
You may be entitled to seek an award of attorney fees and expenses if you prevail in arbitration, to the extent provided under applicable law and the AAA rules. Unless the arbitrator determines that your claim was frivolous or filed for the purpose of harassment, Ohio Immigrant Alliance agrees it will not seek, and hereby waives all rights it may have under applicable law or the AAA rules, to recover attorneys’ fees and expenses if it prevails in arbitration.
- Arbitrator’s Decision.
The arbitrator’s decision will include the essential findings and conclusions upon which the arbitrator based the award. Judgment on the arbitration award may be entered in any court with proper jurisdiction. The arbitrator may award declaratory or injunctive relief only on an individual basis and only to the extent necessary to provide relief warranted by the claimant’s individual claim.
- Jury Trial Waiver.
You and Ohio Immigrant Alliance acknowledge and agree that we are each waiving the right to a trial by jury as to all arbitrable disputes.
- No Class Actions or Representative Proceedings.
You and Ohio Immigrant Alliance acknowledge and agree that we are each waiving the right to participate as a plaintiff or class User in any purported class action lawsuit, class-wide arbitration, private attorney-general action, or any other representative proceeding as to all Disputes. Further, unless you and Ohio Immigrant Alliance both otherwise agree in writing, the arbitrator may not consolidate more than one party’s claims and may not otherwise preside over any form of any class or representative proceeding. If this paragraph is held unenforceable with respect to any Dispute, then the entirety of the Arbitration Agreement will be deemed void with respect to such Dispute.
Except as provided in elsewhere in this section, in the event that any portion of this Arbitration Agreement is deemed illegal or unenforceable, such provision shall be severed and the remainder of the Arbitration Agreement shall be given full force and effect.
Notwithstanding the provisions of “Modification of these Terms”, if Ohio Immigrant Alliance changes this section “Dispute Resolution and Arbitration Agreement” after the date you last accepted these Terms (or accepted any subsequent changes to these Terms), you may reject any such change by sending us written notice (including by email) within thirty (30) days of the date such change became effective, as indicated in the “Last Updated” date above or in the date of Ohio Immigrant Alliance’s email to you notifying you of such change. By rejecting any change, you are agreeing that you will arbitrate any Dispute between you and Ohio Immigrant Alliance in accordance with the provisions of the “Dispute Resolution and Arbitration Agreement” section as of the date you last accepted these Terms (or accepted any subsequent changes to these Terms).
Except as provided within and subject to other sections in these Terms, this Section will survive any termination of these Terms and will continue to apply even if you stop using the Ohio Immigrant Alliance Website or terminate your Ohio Immigrant Alliance Account.
XIX. Applicable Law and Venue
The laws of the State of Ohio, excluding its conflict of law provisions, will apply to any disputes arising out of or relating to these Terms or the Services. All claims arising out of or relating to these Terms or the Services will be litigated exclusively in the state or federal courts located in Wayne County, Ohio, and you and Ohio Immigrant Alliance consent to personal jurisdiction and exclusive venue in such courts.
- Term and Termination, Suspension and Other Measures
This Agreement shall be effective for a 30-day term, at the end of which it will automatically and continuously renew for subsequent 30-day terms until such time when you or Ohio Immigrant Alliance terminate the Agreement in accordance with this provision.
You may terminate this Agreement at any time via the “Cancel Account” feature on the Ohio Immigrant Alliance Website or by sending us an email. If you cancel your Ohio Immigrant Alliance Account as a Host, any confirmed booking(s) will be automatically cancelled and your Guests will receive a full refund. If you cancel your Ohio Immigrant Alliance Account as a Guest, any confirmed booking(s) will be automatically cancelled and any refund will depend upon the terms of the Listing’s cancellation policy.
Without limiting our rights specified below, Ohio Immigrant Alliance may terminate this Agreement for convenience at any time by giving you thirty (30) days’ notice via email to your registered email address.
Ohio Immigrant Alliance may immediately, without notice terminate this Agreement if
- you have materially breached your obligations under these Terms, the Payments Terms, our Policies or Standards,
- you have violated applicable laws, regulations or third-party rights, or
- Ohio Immigrant Alliance believes in good faith that such action is reasonably necessary to protect the personal safety or property of Ohio Immigrant Alliance, its Users, or third parties (for example in the case of fraudulent behavior of a User).
In addition, Ohio Immigrant Alliance may take any of the following measures
- to comply with applicable law, or the order or request of a court, law enforcement or other administrative agency or governmental body, or if
- you have breached these Terms, the Payments Terms, our Policies or Standards, applicable laws, regulations, or third-party rights,
- you have provided inaccurate, fraudulent, outdated or incomplete information during the Ohio Immigrant Alliance Account registration, content creation process or thereafter, or (iv) Ohio Immigrant Alliance otherwise becomes aware of or has received complaints about your performance or conduct, or
- Ohio Immigrant Alliance believes in good faith that such action is reasonably necessary to protect the personal safety or property of Ohio Immigrant Alliance, its Users, or third parties, or to prevent fraud or other illegal activity:
- refuse to surface, delete or delay any User Content;
- limit your access to or use of the Ohio Immigrant Alliance Website;
- temporarily or permanently revoke any special status associated with your Ohio Immigrant Alliance Account; or
- temporarily or in case of severe or repeated offenses permanently suspend your Ohio Immigrant Alliance Account.
In case of non-material breaches and where appropriate, you will be given notice of any intended measure by Ohio Immigrant Alliance and an opportunity to resolve the issue to Ohio Immigrant Alliance’s reasonable satisfaction.
Notwithstanding any of these Terms, Ohio Immigrant Alliance reserves the right, without notice and in its sole discretion, to terminate your license to use the Services and view any Content, and to block or prevent your access to and use of the Services. Ohio Immigrant Alliance reserves the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason at any time if they are found to be in material violation (see: Prohibited Activities). In the event of termination of access to the Services for any reason, you have no right to obtain a copy of any data or communications you stored or effected via the Website, or any other data.
When this Agreement has been terminated, you are not entitled to a restoration of your Ohio Immigrant Alliance Account or any of your User Content. If your access to or use of the Ohio Immigrant Alliance Website has been limited or your Ohio Immigrant Alliance Account has been suspended or this Agreement has been terminated by us, you may not register a new Ohio Immigrant Alliance Account or access and use the Ohio Immigrant Alliance Website through an Ohio Immigrant Alliance Account of another User.
XXI. Entire Agreement
These Terms constitute the entire agreement between you and Ohio Immigrant Alliance with respect to the subject matter of these Terms and supersede and replace any prior version of the Terms. These Terms create no third-party beneficiary rights.
XXII. Waiver, Severability, and Assignment
Ohio Immigrant Alliance’s failure to enforce a provision of these Terms is not a waiver of its right to do so later. If any provision of these Terms is found unenforceable, the remaining provisions of the Terms will remain in full effect and an enforceable Term or Terms will be substituted reflecting our intent as closely as possible. You may not assign any of your rights under these Terms, and any attempt to do so will be void. Ohio Immigrant Alliance may assign its rights to any of its affiliates or subsidiaries, or to any successor in interest of any business associated with the Services.
XXIII. Questions and Contact Information
Any questions or comments about the Site or its contents should be directed [contact_us AT ohioimmigrant.org].
Ohio Immigrant Defense Fund
Cleveland Jobs With Justice and other leaders and organizations in Cleveland have launched a new fundraising vehicle to be able to provide flight, bond, and other assistance to immigrants harmed by ICE enforcement. All donations are tax-deductible. Click here to donate, and please share!